By: Fatimah Zuhri*
[ Please forward/email this to as many people as you know. Feel free to translate to BM or to post/copy this in your websites/blogs. Feel free to send it to the newspaper. Please spread this message. ]
1. By now every single person in this country whether they are Muslim or not, would have realised that on 31st December 2009, Judge Lau Bee Lan have made a ruling to allow the usage of the word "Allah" to be published in The Herald publication.
2. Many of my Muslim friends who are bored/not interested in politics have asked me what is the big deal about this?
3. Let us take a closer look at the future implication of the High Court decision.
4. First of all, we have to understand how Legal System works.
5. When a judge makes a ruling/decision on a case they would tend to refer to previous decision made by the same Court.
6. For example (very simple example):
a) On December 2000, Ali was caught of eating an apple which he took from his neighbour's garden. He was sentenced to pay RM500 and 1 day in jail.
b) On December 2009, Abu was caught with eating an orange which he took from his friend's refrigerator when he was visiting his friend's house.
c) When Abu is brought in front of Judge Fatimah, the Judge will check if there is any previous "similar" decision have been made. The prosecutor (peguam dakwa) will then recommend to the Judge to use the same setence which was made on December 2000 against Ali.
d) This is what we called as "precedent". Since there is an existing "precedent", Judge Fatimah will then sentenced Abu RM500 and 1 day jail.
e) If compared between Ali and Abu, it would look like Abu committed a lesser or different crime but in the eyes of the Law they both committed the same crime and the sentence should be the same.
7. Now let us go back to the High Court decision on the word "Allah". Judge Bee Lan decision was that The Herald is allowed to use the word "Allah" on the basis of "human rights".
8. Unfortunately, there are some highly irresponsible Muslim who say "So what?!".
9. Well, let say a year from now, on 09.01.2011, a person of Hindu or Buddhist or ANY faith go to the court and say " I want the word Allah to be used to refer to my God ".
10. Since there is already a precedent (31.12.2009 - Judge Bee Lan decision), the court will then say OK using the same basis of "human rights" !
11. At the end of the day, everyone will then start to associate the name Allah with their God. It does not matter if the faith is Samawi based (Judaism, Christian and Islam) or non-Samawi based (Hinduism, Buddhism, Ayah Pin, etc...)
12. Again some Muslim will say "So what?".
13. Well, let say Ayah Pin followers go to the public and shouted, "Wahai orang ramai, Ayah Pin ialah Allah!"
14. Another example, a child who was born in a christian family. When this child grows up and see so many contradictions in the Bible (e.g. in 1 Corinthians 5:11 it clearly stated that a person should not drink alcohol, but in Luke Luke 7:33-34 it shows that Jesus/Isa a.s. did drink wine!), the child will grow up becoming an atheist (do not believe in any religion or any God).
15. When this child grew up to become an atheist, when his Muslim friend talk about Islam, he will ridiculed Islam and say " According to Malaysia's legal system, Allah in Islam and Christinanity is the same. So your religion (Islam) is no different from that of my parents (Christianity).
16. Worst, if he marries a Muslim women! I dare not imagine what will happen to their child...
17. If we did not have the High Court decision which equate Christian God = Allah,
perhaps we can tell him,
"Look here my friend, my God is One God, He does not have a son nor does He has any parents, there is none equal or the same to Him. That my friend, is the difference between my religion and that of your parents!"
18. If there is no High Court decision which can equate Christian God = Allah, then the atheist can not say anything else.
19. Now, if you are tired after reading this 19 points, I suggest you have a break first, because there are another 15 points remaining. You can continue at a later time to read point 20-35.
20. Let us take a look at another case. California Proposition 8 which was passed in November 2008 in the United States of America, a day after President Obama was elected to office.
21. Although the issue is different, the implication aspect of it is the same.
22. California Proposition 8 was a proposition to change the constitutional amendment of the United States.
23. A year before (in 2007) the California Supreme Court made a decision that equates Homosexual and Lesbian marriages = Heterosexual marriages.
24. Homosexual marriage is men marrying men and Lesbian marriage is women marrying women. While heterosexual marriage is between a men and a women.
25. The decision by the Court was made under the same basis which our own High Court made the decision on "Allah", which is "Human rights".
26. Imagine my dear readers, how can a marriage between a men and a women is equal to a marriage between homosexuals and lesbian? How can a homosexual or a lesbian couple can have a child? If half of the US population are involved in these sick marriage, in 20 years time, American population will be cut by half.
27, These were the questions raise all around California. The Christians, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist and Jewish Californinans were upset by this decision.
28. What did they do? They held campaigns, pressured the state government, pressured the federal government and many more.
29. A year later, due to the pressure by the common people, the Court had to hold another round of proposition.
30. On the evening of November 4th 2008, the majority of the Californian people rejoiced and celebrated at the announcement that the proposition to reject the notion normal marriage = Homosexual/Lesbian marriage has succeded.
31. Anyone who have been to the United States, should know that California is like Bangsar. The Californian people are the most liberal people in the United States. Yet they manage to reject the sick notion that normal marriage between a men and a women = homosexual marriages.
32. Dear gentle readers, unfortunately in Malaysia, we have some Muslim who wants to make a political issue out of this. Irresponsible people such as Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim (PKR) and YB Khalid Samad (PAS) wants to use this issue to gain non-muslim votes for their political party (Pakatan Rakyat)in the up-coming General Election.
33. This is really unfortunate. If one read and understood my points above, you would now realise the future impact of the High Court decision.
34. Currently, the Prime Minister Dato Seri Najib have asked the Home Minister Dato Seri Hishammudin to make an appeal so that the decision can be over-turned. We congratulate this excellent decision by the Government of Malaysia! However we have to continue our campaign. Please do not act in anger. Peaceful campaign and peaceful protest is the way forward.
35. Last, I urge that everyone of us can understand the issue. It is not just about losing a "word". It is more than that. It is for the future of our children and grand children. If we do not defend, a year from now every religion will call their God as Allah. Perhaps who knows, 5 years from now we will have Homosexual marriages as well. Do we want this to happen?
"Tepuk dada tanyalah selera..."
*Fatimah Zuhri is a non partisan writer who writes for the well being and love for her children, grandchildren and for her beloved nation, Malaysia
- Kalimah "Allah": Perbincangan Dari Sudut Linguisti...
- Kalimah "Allah": Kristian Arab sudah tidak guna pe...
- Kalimah "Allah": Anwar Pujuk MP Bukan Islam Lompat...
- Apa yang masih tinggal pada kita? - Dr Ridhuan Tee...
- Kalimah "Allah": Analisa 5-Bintang! Wajib Baca!
- Words that only Muslims can use
- Keep 'Allah' for use only by Muslims, says Selango...
- The Allah Controversy: The Future Implications of ...
- Clothos, Atropos and Lachesis: The Three Fates of ...
- Kalimah 'Allah': Kerana Pulut Santan Binasa...
- ▼ Januari (10)
- ► 2009 (142)
'Masalah Sikap' vs 'Cemburu' #justiceforMH17 16 September 2008 1Malaysia 1MDB 22 tahun tanpa konflik kaum 3 billion 31 Ogos 2009 5 Ogos 1957 Abdullah ABIM Acaro Solingan Adik Siti Amynur Ain AIDC Air percuma AirAsia Akta hasutan Akta Hasutan 1948 Akta Pendidikan 1996 Aktivis Al-Fatihah Allahyarham Tun Abdul Razak Altantuya Altel Aman Malaysia Ambiga Anak Bangsa Malaysia? Anak Wayang Pas analisa PRU13 ancaman islam di Malaysia. Anjing Gila Anwar Anwar Ibrahim Azan Azizan Azmin Ali babi Badak Pekak Badut Bahasa Kebangsaan Bahasa Malaysia Bahasa Melayu Bajet Pahang 2009 BALACI Bangsa Malaysia Banjir Banjir di Kuantan Banjir di Lipis Bantuan Barisan Nasional Batal Usul Sekat Jualan Arak Behind The Veil Belasungkawa BERSATU Bersih biadap Biadap Hina Nabi Blogger BN BN Perak BOC Boikot barangan israel Boikot produk Yahudi-Amerika Boikot Secara Terancang Bomoh Boneka BR1M Brader Anwar Bin Ibrahim bubar UMNO Bumi Daku cadbury calon boleh menang Carlsberg halal Cawangan UMNO CDM25 Celaka Ceroboh Tanah Milik TNB chedet Chin Peng Chui Jui Meng Cina Cina Boikot Melayu COMANGO Criminalise War Exhibition and Conference 2009 Cuit: Dilema Melayu Moden DAP Datuk Ibrahim Ali Datuk Mukhriz Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir DEB deklarasi rakyat Demi Negara Demonstrasi DERHAKA diesel Din Turtle DNA babi Dokumen Langkah kajang Dong Zong Double Standard Prosedure Dr Abdul Rani Kamarudin Dr Chandra Muzaffar Dr Khir Dr Novandri Dr Ridhuan Tee Abdullah Dr Sidek Baba Dr Yusri Mohamad Dr Zambry Kadir Dr Zuhdi Dr. M DS Anwar DS Anwar Ibrahim DS Najib DUN DUN Perak Durian Runtuh Dyana Sofya DYMM Paduka Seri Sultan Azlan Muhibuddin Shah DYMM Sultan Azlan Shah Dyna Sofya DYTM Raja Dr Nazrin Shah Ekonomi Ekonomi Bumiputera ekonomi melayu Elizabeth Wong Enakmen Agama Bukan Islam (Kawalan Pengembangan Di Kalangan Orang Islam) 1988 Selangor Erniceda Etnic Cleansing Eurocopter Evolusi Politik Melayu Fatimah Zuhri's Blog Fatwa Anti Tomboy FELDA FGV fitnah Fitnah Undi Pos Flip-flop Forum Peluk Islam Foto gabungan UMNO dan PAS. gaza Gerakan Razak Gobalakrishnan Hak Istimewa Melayu/Bumiputera Hak Membeli Hak Mengundi Hansard Parlimen Harakah haram harga minyak naik Hari Kemerdekaan hina Hina Fatwa Hina Islam Hina Raja Melayu Hindraf Hipokrit Hishammuddin Tun Hussein Hishamuddin Hj Hadi Awang Hj Naser Disa Hormati murtad hudud Hudud dan Qisas Husam Musa i want to tocuh a dog i want to touch a dog Ideotique IFC india Institusi Raja Islam Islam Agama Persekutuan Islam Agama Rasmi Persekutuan Ismail Mina Ahmad israel Isu CAR Isu Kalimah Allah Isu Ketidakseimbangan Kaum isu lahad datu Isu Menteri Besar Isu Moral Isu Roboh Kuil Isu Scorpene Isu Tanah Kolej Taiping Isu Tanah Perak Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara JAIS JAKIM Jambatan Bengkok Jeff Ooi Jenayah Jom Bantu Jumlah pengundi muda Jurugambar Utusan KAFA Kaki Pembelit kalimah Allah Kamarudin Jaafar KAR1SMA Karpal Singh Kaum Cina Kaum Melayu Kebaikan Kebal Kebebasan Bersuara Kedah Kedai Rakyat 1 Malaysia keistimewaan Melayu Kekejaman Israel ke atas umat Islam kelvin yip Kempen Satu Sekolah Untuk Semua kerajaan islam Keranda 152 Kes Datuk Nasaruddin Hashim (UMNO ke PKR) Kes Liwat Kesetiaan Kepada Raja dan Negara Ketuanan DAP Ketuanan Melayu Ketuanan Pakatan Rakyat Ketum Khalid Ibrahim Kiasu KijangMas Kiki KKM Kongres Ekonomi Islam Ketiga Kontrak Sosial kronisma kuala kangsar Kuala Lumpur Foundation To Criminalise War Kuota Pemilikan 30 % Kuota Pemilikan Rumah 50 % Ladang Babi Lateefa Koya LBGT Lee Kuan Yew lembah klang Lembah Pantai Leong Ngah Ngah LGBT Liberalisasi? Lidah 'tidak rasmi' Pakatan Rakyat = Malaysiakini Lim Guan Eng Lim Kit Siang Lina Joy Logo Halal logo halal JAKIM Lompat Parti Low Siew Moi lowyat M Manoharan M-UPRo Mah Siew Keong Mahkamah Syariah Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) Majlis Fatwa Kebangsaan Majlis Muafakat Melayu Majlis Peguam Malay Mail Cyberspot Malaysia malaysia bukan negara sekular Malaysian Airline System Malaysian Malaysia Mangkat Mangkuk Ayun Azmi Shahrom Manifesto bukan janji Marah-Marah Sayang MAS Masjid Besi Putrajaya MB Kedah MB selangor MCA media sosial melayu Melayu Pulau Pinang Melayu Singapura Membina Negara mencari simcard Altel Menteri besar Selangor merdeka riview Meroyan MH17 MH370 MO1 Monopoli Ekonomi Muhammad Firdaus Dullah Muhyiddin Murtad Muslim UPRo Mustafa Ali Musuh islam Musuh Melayu Musuh Negara Muzakarah Cendekiawan Islam 2009 MyKad Najib Najib Tun Razak Nasrudin Hassan negara islam negara sekular Negarawan Ulung Nga kor ming Ngeh Koo Ham Nik Aziz Nilai Nizar Nizar Boneka DAP Nurul Izzah Obama octoberfest octoberfest2014 OKU OKU dikurung OKU terbiar Omar Ong One utama Open Letter by Matthias Chang PAC Pahang Darul Makmur Pakatan Pakatan Haram Pakatan Rakyat Pakatan Rakyat Perak Pakatan Rakyat. pertusan undi cina Palestin Paneh Miang PAP Parlimen Parti baru Tun M Parti tunggal PAS Pas selangor Pas Terengganu PAS youth Pasca PRU-13 PAU Ke-59 Peguam Negara Pelacuran Pelan Induk Pembangunan Pendidikan 2006-2010 PEMBELA Pembohong Pembubaran parlimen Pemuda UMNO Pemuda UMNO Bahagaian Segambut Pemuda UMNO Pahang Penamaan Calon Pencemaran Pencerobohan Tanah Kerajaan Peneroka Pengganas Komunis Pengkhianat pengkhianat negara Pengundi Atas Pagar Penyata Razak 1956 Perak Perbandingan Perdana Menteri Malaysia Ke-6 perkara 11 Perkara 11 Perlembagaan Perkara 12 perkara 121 Perkara 152 Perkara 153 perkara 3 Perkara 3 Perlembagaan PERKASA perkauman Perkhidmatan Awam Pulau Pinang perkongsian kuasa. Perlembagaan Perlembagaan Persekutuan Perlembagaan Persekutuan Tanah Melayu Perpaduan Perpaduan Melayu/Islam Persekutuan Tanah Melayu pesawat MAS terhempas pesta arak pesta arak terbuka Petisyen petrol Petronas Pilihanraya Masjid PKM PKNS PKPIM PKR Polarisasi Kaum Politik Perak Portal Kempen SSS PPSMI PR PRK Bagan Pinang PRK Bukit Gantang PRK Galas PRK Kuala Terengganu PRK Teluk Intan PRN pro-pembangkang produk cina produk melayu Prof Dr Aziz Bari Prof Emeritus Tan Sri Khoo Kay Kim Prof. P Ramasamy propaganda PRU 14 PRU12 PRU13 Puasa Ramadhan Pulau Pinang Puppet Master Putera Sultan Selangor Putrajaya Qarinah Qazaf Rabindranath Tagore racist Raja Nong Chick Raja-Raja Melayu Rakyat Malaysia? Rasuah Razak Baginda RBA Reaksi pemimpin politik Reflections: Melayu Lama Ronnie Liu Rukun Negara Rusia Rusia Border Rusuhan Saham FGV Saiful Bukhari Azlan Sakmongkol AK47 Salah Guna Kuasa SAR Sastera Satira Satu Malaysia Sekolah Agama Sekolah Kebangsaan Sekolah Satu Aliran Sekolah Vernakular Seks sekular Selangor Sepitman Begins sesat Shafie Apdal shah alam Sidek Baba Sistem Pendidikan Kebangsaan skandal kewangan Skuad Banjir Pemuda sokongan masyarakat kepada MAS Solat Hajat SPR SRJK Persendirian steering lock SUARAM subsidi Sultan Perak Sultan Selangor Sumpah Laknat Sun Tzu'z Art of War sungai besar surah al kafirun Syed Azmi Alhabshi syiah Tan Sri Isa Samad Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim Tan Sri Muhyiddin Tanah Kebun Peneroka Techno Crap Teluk Intan tembak Tender Tanah tender terbuka Tengku Adnan Teresa Kok terhempas The Economist The Unspinners The War Crimes Commission and Tribunal 2009 Titah DYMM Sultan Selangor Titah DYTM Raja Muda Perak di Majlis Perasmian Penutupan Kongres Ekonomi Islam Ketiga Toyota Camry 2.4 Perak Truth for Teoh Beng Hock Tsunami Cina Tuanku Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah Tulisan Jawi Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad Tun M tuntutan Ukraine UMNO UMNO Seremban Uncle sim Undang-undang antilompat parti wakil rakyat Undang-Undang Tubuh Negeri Perak Undi cina undi hantu Usahawan Bumiputera Pahang Ustaz Kazim Elias Utusan Malaysia V. Sivakumar video WADAH wall street journal Wan Azizah Wasiat Raja-Raja Melayu Wong Siew Teng aka Agnes Wong Yayasan Anti Peperangan Kuala Lumpur Yusuf Qardhawi Zahid Hamidi Zahrain Zaini Hassan Zulkifli Noordin